Thursday, January 23, 2014

Hibernation Sewing

Our temperatures have been a roller coaster of highs....60 degrees one day with a plunge to the teens only to begin the ascent again followed by another  plunge. On those cold days, I like to hibernate with sewing.  I've unearthed a 5 year old project that was giving me fits and finally figured out how to salvage it,....
used my drunkard's path templates for the first time (am I supposed to remove that paper and flip them over so the writing isn't backwards???)
 to make some blocks for my entry in the Urban: Structures Challenge with the Four-in-Art Bee,...
 as well as sent and received another set of "twin" blocks for the Friendship X and + Swap. Here's a hint as to what they are looking like all put together. I 'll show you in color next week!
Actually, I am enjoying the extra time behind the machine that cold weather offers. How about you?

12 comments:

  1. yes, pull off the paper! . its just there for when they were cutting the templates. to keep the edges nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes remove the paper! ;-) love the dp blocks! We had a crazy thunderstorm and hail stones here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to see what you do with your salvage project! Our weather is very strange. We aren't having a winter.....no rain....no snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't five-year-old fabric seem "vintage" with all the new lines that are constantly bombarding us?? Good idea to show your friendship X and + blocks in black and white. I will actually have mine done on time. I think that is two months in a row. Whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hot weather here is also a good excuse to stay indoors and sew too! Looking forward to a full + and x reveal AND getting my in real life too! And how nice to revive a five year old project! I even recognise some of that fabric.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you and Sue! I'll leap on any excuse to sew, really: too cold, too hot, too wet ...

      Delete
  6. I commented to hubs just this morning that I always liked winter, and I think it is the cozy indoor time that I like most, especially now that I've taken up more "serious" sewing:) I suppose if I had to fight getting to work every day, it would get old more quickly! Love seeing such a variety of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is is time for our swap blocks again? Where did this month go! I'm trying to figure out how to salvage an older top too. Enjoy your sewing Carla!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curious were your structures quilt will go. I drew mine up today but piecing will be a challenge. Involves lots of curves. I've done the Drunkards block but never looser curves so we'll see. Applique is an option too. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your work is always an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you're staying warm, glad you have some fun projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cold weather, but this winter has been a bit extreme! I have been quilting away with shop samples and other "things" I have been wanting to try. Unfortunately, I haven't been working as much as I should on the Mid Century blocks....need to get on that! And in the evening I have been doing some hand stitching. My big complaint about winter is the lack of light. I am okay with the cold but I wish we had a few more hours of daylight!

    ReplyDelete