Thursday, October 16, 2014

Welcome to Colorful Colorado


 If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you probably know that I grew up in the beautiful state of Colorado. I try to visit at least once every year. The photo below was taken within an a hour's drive of my childhood home.
With that soft spot in my heart, it was not difficult for me to say yes to Katie when she asked if I would test her new pattern called, "Welcome to Colorful Colorado".
The 66" x 81" quilt would look great as a wall hanging or even on a twin bed. It can be viewed vertically, as if you are standing looking at a sunset behind the mountain range or horizontally, where it represents the plains, mountains, and mesas of the state of Colorado.
 Because of the many pieces and the angles that need to be cut to make the design, the pattern is best suited to intermediate or advanced quilters. With accurate seam allowances and good labeling of the pieces, this makes for a fun project, though, once the cutting is finished. It's like putting together a puzzle!
 Welcome to Colorful Colorado is available for download on Craftsy. You can find it here.
 The cutting is straightforward and easily achieved by following the clear directions. Katie has included tips for sewing everything together successfully as well as some quilting ideas that can be achieved on your home sewing machine. (I haven't gotten to that quilting part yet, as you can see.)
 The quilt really is like a piece of art and I'm looking forward to seeing mine hung on a wall! If you love working with solid fabrics, this might just be an idea for your next project. I used Kona but Katie's version is lovely using Oakshot Cottons.

12 comments:

  1. Oh it's beautiful! Made me think of the Colorful Colorado quilts many of us made for a modern quilt guild challenge earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing Colorado quilt Carla! You did an amazing job, and I can't wait to see it again once it's finished and quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Carla! So fun. It's lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just beautiful! What a wonderful color pallet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was only thinking about this the other day! It is beautiful! I can tell it was quite a job getting this put together- not just the cutting but the piecing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! What a fantastic quilt! Great colours and the design is beautiful! I love quilts with story or and idea of view. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors are wonderful , it feels like the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really pretty, Carla! I'd forgotten you were making it, so I'm sure you're glad it's a finished flimsy. All solids make for a beautiful quilt, don't they? I haven't yet sewn with Oakshott Cottons, have you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just beautiful!! The hubs would love to see more solids in my quilts....this is certainly inspirational!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful quilt! I have a dear friend also from Colorado who would love this quilt. Since she doesn't quilt I guess I'll need to make it for her :) Going over to Craftsy now to see about purchasing the pattern - and trying my best to avoid their sale on shot cotton bundles!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an interesting quilt. It's not usually my thing, all the unusual shaped pieces, and I'm not much into "art" quilts, but I really like this one. I think the blue and white coloured section does it for me. The snow capped mountains of Colorado.

    ReplyDelete