Thursday, January 2, 2014

Word of the Year- Priorities

Last year I chose the word 'finish' as my word for the year. I found it quite motivating to keep the word in mind as I went about my daily life, especially in regards to my quilting.(More on how that word influenced 2013 later.)
With the start of a new year I wanted to find a new word to guide me in my commitments and goals. After contemplating several choices, I've landed on the word PRIORITIES for 2014. Really, priorities encompass almost every choice I make, whether I acknowledge it or not. My goal is to think more about saying "yes" or "no" to how I live my life in every area.
 So, to start out the year with a 'bang', I thought that I'd fulfill a priority to share more blog tutorials front and center today! If you'd like to know how I made the simple "Word" Bunting above...read on!
Materials: 
Linen fabric cut into a 6 1/2 inch strip
Tag board stick-on-letters
Jute string
Triangle ruler
Start by pressing the linen fabric in half lengthwise and, placing the wide edge of the triangle ruler on the fold, cut as many triangles as you need to spell your "word".
 Next, using matching thread, sew a casing along the top of each triangle. You can chain stitch the triangles and be done super fast with this part. I didn't even back stitch.
 Thread a long piece of jute onto a bodkin (or safety pin).
 Pass the jute through the casing on each linen triangle.
 Press on the letters to spell your "word" 
 and tie a knot at the beginning and end of the word to keep it in place.
 Done! These are cute hanging along curtain rods, mantels, book shelves, bulletin boards...wherever you need reminding of the priorities of life!
I think that I will make a bunting that says "Priorities" just to keep me motivated all through the year to keep things straight!

Do you have a word of the year for 2014?

10 comments:

  1. Love these! Mine is hanging proudly in my sewing corner! I am thinking about the word 'Savour"- savour the moment, savour friendships! It's all about enjoying the journey, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute! This year I am only doing things I really want to do {within reason!} Too often I volunteer to do things I don't want to do. I don't have a word yet....maybe it should be "no"? That sounds so negative....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to keep a reminder for the word of the year. Even though my word is very motivating for me, it's pretty boring: manage. But then, glitter makes everything a little more glamorous! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute design, simple thing to make - and so effective. I love the one you sent me! Looks like you made LOTS of them. I don't have a word for 2014. Hmm. Maybe "healthy." Or "appreciate." I'll give it some thought. You picked a good word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore my bunting. Every time I look at it, it reminds me to say a thankful prayer for you and your friendship. I've contemplated, and my word this year is aspire. It was a toss up with "balance". Maybe I'll keep them both

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore my bunting. Every time I look at it, it reminds me to say a thankful prayer for you and your friendship. I've contemplated, and my word this year is aspire. It was a toss up with "balance". Maybe I'll keep them both

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the word bunting idea. Your goals are noble, and I know that 2014 will be great for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are very cute! I can see where "finish" was very operable in your year! As I thought about "words" for the year, having never picked one, I first thought of Balance...then Diligence...and I've landed on two, kinda..."Sew Fit" which to me encompasses balance and diligence...maybe that makes 4 words! lol! maybe next year I'll trim it down to just one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this cute bunting idea! I think I will sew the casing before cutting the triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you are starting off the new year with a bang--creating something to help you remember what your focus is. Fun to read about your word, and I send you wishes that at the end of the year, you will feel satisfied with how you prioritized!

    Elizabeth
    opquilt.com

    ReplyDelete