Friday, January 10, 2014

Foggy Friday

It's a grey day here in the Midwest as fog blankets the area and drizzle fills the air.
 It's been so cold for the last week or so, that even Marble has wanted to come inside to warm up between her bouts of terrorizing the birds at the feeder. (Yesterday, she managed to catch one.) Bad Marble!
This morning, I had to be at my daughter's house by 8 a.m. to babysit as she had her TV debut on a local station's program called Better Kansas City. The girls and I were glued to the set waiting for Megan's crafty spot demonstrating an Anthropology decor knock off. She was a natural. Even Lula thought mommy did good! Doesn't she look professional!
Last night, at the KC Modern Quilt Guild meeting, I picked up some fat quarters and third-yard cuts of a few grey fabrics from I Don't Do Dishes, our January sponsor. Two of the fabrics below were recent purchases from my local quilt shop and the plaid is a Denyse Schmidt from JoAnn's. I've decided to focus on one color each month as a way of being more selective in my stash building and grey seemed the appropriate color for January. I have some other plans and ideas centered around color that I'll be sharing in the weeks to come. 
Fortunately, not everything is grey as I had the pleasure of sewing up this brightly colored house block for Linda who is the queen bee this month in the Mid-Century Modern Bee. Linda, who lost her house and possessions in a fire this fall, collects Mexican pottery and wanted to focus on the bright colors as she and her husband make plans for where they will be living next. Linda's attitude during all of this turmoil has been inspirational to all of us in the Bee.
If you, too, are experiencing a grey day-
I wish you much sunshine tomorrow!

12 comments:

  1. How exciting to have a celebrity in the family! I love the flowers and they do look easy to make.
    I like your idea of collecting a color a month, keeps you focused.
    The house is adorable I am sure she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your daughter! It has rained here for the last 24 hours - gray and nasty. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter does look like a natural. Love the house block you made for Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of stashing specific coloured fabrics in each month! Pity I'm on a fabric diet! Your house for Linda is perfect- I must get onto mine! And congratulations on your daughters television appearance, and here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plenty of sunshine today after a grey week. The forecast temperature is 93* and getting warmer through the week! I love summer! (Sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great little house block. I've got to get mine done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness Carla. The roof fabric in your house is perfect! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a proud Mama you must be to have your daughter on TV. I think grey is a great choice for Jsnuary. I am looking forward to seeing what they become. Love you house, I have a weakness for house blocks. Very cute. Have a nice weekend .

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to sit together watching your daughter/Momma on TV!!!! I look very forward to your "colorful" words of wisdom...always do :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great house block, Carla. I had a 30 minute layover in KC yesterday(Friday) Indeed it was very grey and foggy there. What is that one fabric with the wavy grey lines and yellow flowers? So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a nice post. You write very well, Carla, and tie everything together so skillfully - grey to grey. I sure wish we could do some fabric-shopping at our MQG meetings. You're very fortunate to be part of such a dynamic chapter.

    How proud you can be of Megan! She's a beautiful woman, and I have no doubt that she delivered her information quite eloquently, no matter how much she stressed about it beforehand. I'm sure she has inherited her talents from you!

    I like the traditional, but brightly-colored house you sewed for Linda. I made a house block yesterday and Linda will not be getting it. Such a horrible mish-mash of prints that it's difficult to distinguish the house! Sigh. I don't think she'll get her block from me in January.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting for your daughter and family!! Those gray fabrics are wonderful. Your house block turned out so cute.

    ReplyDelete