Thursday, April 12, 2012

Marathon Sewing

The KC Modern Quilt Guild's recent retreat was a marathon of sewing....I love it so! We began on Friday afternoon and kept sewing until Sunday around 2 p.m., with a few breaks for eating and sleeping...some more than others! I managed to get quite a bit accomplished, which is nice since I haven't sewn a stitch in the 10 days since! 
Here's a taste of the Batman quilt that I started for one of my grandsons. I'm surprising myself as to how much I'm liking the way it is falling together! Somehow it reminds me of comic book pages....
Besides sewing up a couple more Farmer's Wife blocks, I also stitched together my recent leader/ender blocks into a pretty lap quilt top for charity. I'd really like to get it quilted by next week, if I can, so that it can travel to Nepal with my son for a child there.
My quickest and most fun project was making this jelly roll quilt as a "test" top for the 
1600 Inch Race that my other quilt guild, The Blue Valley Quilters, is having at their Day Retreat in May. I used two strips each of all 20 new Flea Market Fancy fabrics to create this simple top...
Because you don't preplan the fabric placement, the colors appear very randomly across the quilt top. It probably took me around 2 hours from start to finish to make this quilt top. It will be fun to see how fast the actual "race" is finished when we have it next month. 
Stop by tomorrow to see my Farmer's Wife blocks. See you then!

9 comments:

  1. The Jelly Roll 1600 looks like a blast! I would love to do something like that!
    I don't understand the leaders and enders thing... I use them but don't get a quilt made from them...????

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leader/enders project is very pretty!! And I agree, the Batman blocks do look like comic book pages! Great colours too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your quilt tops are just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Sewing together at quilting retreats is one of my most favorite things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Batman quilt will be loved to tatters! Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw a tutorial for the jelly roll quilt on the Missouri Star Quilt Company website and just had to make one. They refer to it as the Jelly roll race quilt and it was so fun! I went to a girlfriend's on Monday and somewhat reluctantly opened my first jelly roll to make the quilt. I did take the time to press as I went along, so there was no racing involved, but what an amazing way to have a quilt top ready in very short order and to showcase a whole line of fabric. I am putting 2 borders on it and then making a pieced backing before I practice my free motion quilting on it. I can't wait to do it again!
    Thanks for all that you do,
    begoodbabe from Alberta, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was great fun to watch all those quilt tops grow on your design wall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How does that last quilt top challenge work?

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grandsons will love that Batman quilt. And I love the bright colors and graphic design of the quilt for Nepal. Bless you for being a blessing to a fortunate child there.

    ReplyDelete