Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pink Birds on My Tree

As I've said before, my Christmas tree is laden with ornaments of every type, some prettier than others. I love them all and have enjoyed collecting the menagerie over the last 38 years. I thought that it might be fun to share some of them with you, especially when I hear about several friends and family members that haven't put up Christmas decorations this year for one reason or another.  I'm still going strong in the "decoration" department and enjoy seeing my grandchildren study the collection and look for ornaments that they remember from years past.
Before I became a member of an "empty nester club" almost 10 years ago called the Pink Flamingo Club, I had never even heard of a pink flamingo ornament, let alone owned one.
 Who knew then that every year since I would add at least one pink feathered friend to my tree...and sometimes more.
 I haven't counted, but would be safe in guessing that the evergreen is laden with close to twenty pink birds by now. Our annual Pink Christmas Party is next week, and I won't be surprised if I come home with another fine specimen to add to the collection!
 Some are gorgeous glass ornaments and a few are silly guys dressed in Santa attire...
 Kitchy, resin Florida birds are even welcome among the branches.
 I would never turn a long-legged special friend away...what happy memories they represent to me. I'd love to hear about your silly dilly ornaments, too!
 Lest you get the idea that I have been sitting in front of the Christmas tree every day, sipping on a hot chocolate, here's a peek at a "leader-ender" quilt that I've been assembling in between Christmas shopping and other sewing projects...
I have some special Christmasy posts for next week, so y'all come back now..ya hear!

5 comments:

  1. I love Christmas ornaments, I have serious decoration envy after seeing your flamingos...my family complain I have too many decorations, but that's all bah-humbug to me! My MIL gave me some of her old glass decorations, and I have all the ones from when I first got married...and I buy a couple of new ones every year...no one is going to stop me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your leader ender quilt...such a good use of scraps. I was just thinking yesterday that I need to do something with all the strips I've been saving...this just might be the thing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a collection of Dr. Seuss ornaments. My sister gives one to me almost every Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your Christmas tree. It's great! Your pink flamingos are fine-looking, and so appropriate. Guess I need to start looking for palm tree ornaments, yes? I can't think of a single silly-dilly ornament we've ever put on our tree. I'm just a German descendant of too-practical, unimaginative people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, I do like your leader-ender quilt; was it complicated?

    Love your Christmas tree ornaments; our tree traditionally goes up on Christmas Eve. Normally it is too hot to have a live tree up before Christmas if one wants it looking its best!

    ReplyDelete