Friday, August 20, 2010

Pink Flamingos

Six years ago I got the brainy idea to make a quilt for each of the members of a club I belong to. I worked on the eight lap quilts over the course of one year, pairing quilt theme with the recipient in some way. Every quilt was different in pattern, color and fabric, with one exception: They all contained some sort of flamingo motif somewhere in the quilt.  You'd be amazed at how much flamingo fabric there is out there!  I had such fun creating these, mostly pink, quilts for my girlfriends.....all members of The Pink Flamingo Club. The club is an empty-nester club meeting once a month as an excuse to have a party! Here's the quilt that I made for myself....
I used house patterns and ideas from a book called Q is for Quilt by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes. 
The eight houses represent the homes of the eight ladies where we hold our monthly themed parties. Next Monday is our eighth "Bird day party" where we will have a flamingo topped birthday cake and sing "happy birthday" to our selves. The party will be at my house so I've been busy getting out all my flamingos, including this quilt, to get the place fancied up for my guests. Can you guess what color they will all be wearing?! 
I love Pink Flamingo Club night!  Part of our mission statement includes "Our prayer is that the time we spend with one another will strengthen us as women and will radiate out to everyone whose lives we touch."
In between dusting my furniture, I've been quilting on baby Jane's Munki quilt. Just when I thought that I might get it finished today, I ran out of thread! Can you see where I stopped?
If you look to the right in this picture, you can see a hint as to the backing I decided on. I'm off to the store for more white thread, but before I go, here's a poem by one of the flamingos.


What is a Pink Flamingo?
Parading in all their finery,
Involved in each other's lives,
Never forgetting to pray,
Kindred spirits for such a time as this.


Flamingos forever united,
Lovingly gathering together,
Always reserving a fourth Monday,
Matronly doesn't describe us!
In touch, intuitive,insane!
Never growing too old,
Giving each other courage,
Onward we go together...
Silliness you say? Never, ever!!!

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lot of fun! And I love your quilting in progres...

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being a pink flamingo would be great! As an empty nester I find that friends and family are so important. Hope your bird day party is great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilting is so fun and pretty - I want to try something like this,too!
    Have fun at the bird day party! It sounds like a great group to belong to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your club is a great idea. So many who have empty nests just pine away. Sad. But, just look at what fun there is out there. Love the pink flamingo quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love being "hooked" to your blog! My daughter loves flamingos...would you mind sharing with me how I can get the pattern for the paper pieced flamingo? Would love to make her something using that! Thanks for your inspiration...blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're blessed to be in such a group. I tried to organize friends like this, and it didn't work. As much as I felt committed to the women, it takes a similar commitment from everyone to make it work. Sadly, that didn't happen, so we've stopped meeting.

    I'm very happy for you to be in the PFs. You're gathering with a wonderful mission. Have fun at your party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy howdy...you sure are ambitious. I wish I was in your club!!
    I did a whole post a few weeks ago on house quilts. I love these quilts! I am actually in the process of designing a 'Christmas' house quilt.
    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your quilt! Your Flamingo's sound like a great bunch of gals - I belong to a "gourmet group" and none of us are gourmets - just our excuse to get together and eat monthly! It's so great to have girlfriends - what would we do without them?!!? xo, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Close friends are the world! So glad you have a bunch to laugh and enjoy life with. The quilt is a lot of fun and so meaningful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://quilthome.com/product_info.php/products_id/4419


    just in case you are looking for more PF fabric...LOL

    ReplyDelete