Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Catching Up

Vacation plans and new babies got me a bit behind in my Virtual Bees.  I'm trying to catch up by sewing blocks for Toni,  Joan and Ruth. I still have blocks for one more Bee to go!
Toni chose butterflies as the theme of her quilt in the Kansas City Scrappy Bee. She provided us with two  strips of hand dyed fabric to make any style of butterfly that we wished using a black background fabric.  I immediately thought of Amy's awesome Butterfly Quilt and tutorial.  Mrs. Schmenkman Quilts is one of my very favorite blogs. Be sure and pay her a visit! Thanks, Amy. I may need a butterfly quilt myself!
Next up is Joan's block for the Nittany Block Party Bee.  Joan, who blogs at Wishes, True and Kind, chose this fun Scrapbuster Block  by Little Miss Shabby for her August block.  Twenty-four 1.5 inch blocks, along with the grey Kona,were included in the envelope I received from Joan.  It was fun to add 24 more little squares from my stash to complete the 12.5 inch block.  The piecing was a bit challenging only because my 1/4 inch seams weren't entirely accurate and they NEED to be to make it all work out when you sew the squares onto the grey strips. (I had to take a little deeper seams in a few places. Don't tell, okay!)
 I absolutely love this block and the combination of grey/brights.  This will be a stunning quilt when finished!
Finally, Ruth asked for half log cabin blocks using fabrics she provided. Ruth also is part of the Nittany Block Party Bee. ( I was supposed to have these cute blocks done in July!  Sorry, Ruth....they will be in the mail tomorrow!)  Although I have made many log cabin blocks over the years, I believe these are my first half-log cabins.  I'm anxious to see this quilt when it is finished!

3 comments:

  1. The block you made for me is stunning! And I'm more behind than you -- I'll be starting Ruth's block tonight -- yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely bee blocks! I love Joan's design a lot, and those butterfly blocks are sooo cute. I was going to pick them as my design for a block swap. Maybe next time...
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both block designs! I've been behind on bee blocks too so good for you getting caught up!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete